Socitm Agile Pathfinder Project: briefing out now
Friday 27th July 2012
'Why wouldn't every council web/IT team want to work like this?' concludes Socitm Insight's new briefing on the topic of agile working in local government.
Agile: a methodology for our time? reports on the Agile Pathfinder Programme (APP) run by Socitm Insight with six councils from September 2011 - April 2012. The programme, run in partnership with consultancy IndigoBlue, was designed to test agile working on a series of live projects.
The projects involved were:
- Transforming the intranet at Barking & Dagenham LB
- Introducing a families information service at Cambridgeshire CC
- Meeting the 2012 Olympics deadline at Hackney LB
- Managing web improvements at Huntingdonshire DC
- Replacing the website at Leeds City Council
- Improving social care documentation at Solihull MBC
The common experience from these projects, as reported in the briefing is the sense of a major change to the way in which ICT-enabled projects and activities should be carried out. The major positive impact of agile working is successful business collaboration, based on real business commitment and the sense of true collaboration between provider and user shines through.
As the Head of IT at one of the pathfinder projects commented, "We now use this technique for all our projects and present it as just the way we now manage ICT-enabled projects around here. It has invigorated our team and it has delivered"
Agile: a methodology for our time? is available free of charge to Socitm Insight subscribers.